Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Daytona Beach - Shovel


.


I found this flat shovel in the Atlantic Ocean. The shovel was located in 4.5 feet of water about 20 feet off shore on Daytona Beach Shores, Florida. When I first spotted the shovel I thought it was a shark or a sting ray, but it didn't move so I kept watching it and noticed that not only was it stationary but it appeared to be more regularly shaped than most fish. After about 3 minutes I worked up the courage to stick out my hand and grab the narrow end of the submerged image. Any other time it would be something crazy to do. This time I wound up with a shovel instead of missing a hand. I pulled the shovel to shore and my Dad packed it in the car and we brought it back to Gadsden, Alabama 4 days later.

I found this shovel in July of 1980. This was the summer after I graduated from high school. My parents decided to celebrate this achievement by taking the family to Daytona Beach and Disney World. I drove over half way to Daytona Beach. I had never driven for over 8 hours. I can remember being extremely tired. The experience was one of the most exhausting times I can remember. Driving home was similar. I drove over 6 to 8 hours that day also.

The day after I came home I had to go back to work. This was almost the differentiation of my life from high school to college and adulthood (If you believe I've actually made it to adulthood.).

No comments:

Post a Comment